As many of us settle back into our post-summer vacation routines, now is the time to start thinking about home maintenance before the weather changes. It is much easier to take care of these tasks while it is warm and dry anyway, right?! I know it’s hard to believe that it's ever going to cool off, but it will happen before we know it! Just like spring cleaning, fall is another great time of year to manage your home’s annual or bi-annual needs between a sweltering summer and limited ability to work outside during winter weather.
A little maintenance can go a long way in preventing future problems. Small fixes ultimately save money by not needing to do major house repairs. Therefore, be sure to incorporate these tasks into the “to do” list throughout the fall.
The maintenance suggestions below are organized by month to help you get started. Remember that where you live and the climate in your area might change the schedule in some ways.
1. Wax vehicles. The extra layer of protection from the elements which adds longevity to a car’s paint.
2. Clean outdoor window screens to remove cotton, cob webs and other summer debris build-up.
3. Service the HVAC system and replace filters.
4. Remove leaves and debris from gutters and downspouts.
5. Trim trees and bushes away from the house.
6. Place outdoor furniture and planters in storage or cover them before winter storms.
7. Caulk around windows to cover gaps and keep in valuable (and costly) heat during the winter.
8. BEFORE THE FIRST FREEZE, drain outdoor faucets, hoses and sprinkler systems.
9. Inspect exterior lighting; replace bulbs and reset timers as needed.
10. Test carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms; replace batteries as needed.
Happy home maintenance, everyone! Are there other tasks you incorporate into your fall schedule? We would love to hear from you in the comments section.
Don't forget to get the Bargain Blessings toolbar to print coupons and stay up to date on all the latest deals!