Today I want to share with you one of my all time favorite recipes. Not only is it budget friendly, but it’s also incredibly easy to throw together. You don’t even have to cook OR defrost the chicken before throwing it in the slow cooker! It doesn’t get much easier than that.
Generally I’m not really that big of a soup fan because I tend to enjoy more “filling” meals more, but trust me, this soup very hearty and very filling! It also goes a long way and freezes wonderfully so it’s a great one to make ahead for fall and winter dinners.
Hearty Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
1.5lbs Frozen Trimmed Chicken Breasts
2 Cans of Diced Tomatoes (or 5 fresh tomatoes)
1 (10 ounce) Can of Enchilada Sauce
1 Can Black Beans
1 Medium Onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) Can of Chopped Green Chile Peppers
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
2 Cups Water
1 (14.5 ounce) Can Chicken Broth
1 Teaspoon Cumin
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
2 Bay Leafs
1 (10 ounce) Package Frozen Corn
1 Tablespoon Chopped Cilantro (optional)
1. Place all the ingredients into a slow cooker. Stir Well.
2. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 4 to 5 hours.
3. Shred chicken with two forks prior to serving.
That’s it! So simple and so flavorful! I like to serve mine along with sour cream, shredded cheese and homemade tortillas chips. Here is how I make the homemade tortilla chips:
Homemade Tortilla Chips
1. You’ll need a package of tortillas.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
3. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
4. Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes.
To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup and enjoy!