This is one of my all time favorite recipes! I first of all, LOVE that I can just throw all off the ingredients into the crock pot and come home to a fully cooked meal. And I also love that the chicken gets put in frozen and whole! Cutting up chicken is one of my least favorite things to do in the kitchen. Really we are not big soup people because we like filling meals, but trust me, this soup is very filling…and it also goes a really long way and freezes great! Enjoy…and make sure to let me know if you decide to try it!
1 pound (aprox) Whole Frozen Chicken Breasts
2 Cans of Diced Tomatoes (or 4 fresh tomatoes)
1 (10 ounce) Can of Enchilada Sauce
1 Can Black Beans
1 Medium Onion, chopped
1 (4 ounce) Can of Chopped Green Chile Peppers
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
2 Cups Water
1 (14.5 ounce) Can Chicken Broth
1 Teaspoon Cumin
1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1 Bay Leaf
1 (10 ounce) Package Frozen Corn
1 Tablespoon Chopped Cilantro
7 Corn Tortillas
1. Place all the ingredients into a slow cooker (except for the tortillas and vegetable oil). Stir Well. Cover, and cook on Low setting for 6 to 8 hours or on High setting for 3 to 4 hours. Shred chicken with two forks a little bit before you serve it.
2. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
3. Lightly brush both sides of tortillas with oil. Cut tortillas into strips, then spread on a baking sheet.
4. Bake in preheated oven until crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. To serve, sprinkle tortilla strips over soup. (This are optional…if you feel like being lazy -like I do sometimes- just serve it with corn chips!)
5. I like to serve the soup with sour cream and cheese sprinkled on top!