1. Register Rewards are manufacturer coupons that can then be used to purchase anything in any Walgreens store. So, if you are purchasing an item for $5 and you are using a $3 RR to pay for it, it will then only be $2 that you pay out of pocket. They expire in about two weeks after they are issued, so make sure to keep an eye on those expiration dates.
2. Your before-tax total has to be over the amount of the RR. So, you cannot use a $3 RR to buy three times that are .99 each, because your total would go negative. In this case, your RR would beep at the register and the cashier will not accept it. A good solution to this is to purchase a filler item. Filler items are very inexpensive items (.01-.25) that can be used to make sure your total doesn’t go negative. Make sure to check out the clearance section for fillers and the seasonal section for things like pencils. So now, you could by your three .99 items, plus one .05 filler and pay for all these with a $3RR and your total will be .02 plus tax.
3. You can only earn one of the same RR in a transaction. For example, you cannot purchase five packs of Huggies and expect to get five RRs back. You will only get one. To get around this, you can do five separate transactions. Make sure to be courteous and go to the end of the line for each transaction.
4. You cannot use a Register Reward earned from an item to purchase that same item and expect to get another RR. For example, if you had already bought Huggies diapers once and earned a RR, you cannot use the RR you just earned to pay for your next transaction. If you were to do that, your new RR would not print. You can however, use a RR from another product to purchase a different product that will produce a RR. For example, let’s say that this week Dove Men’s Body Wash is $5.99 with a $6 RR making it FREE after the RR. Huggies diapers also have a RR deal this week that is giving you a $3RR when you buy one pack. You could purchase the Huggies first, and then purchase the Dove and use the Huggies RR to pay for the Dove, so your out of pocket cost for the Dove would only be $2.99 before any other coupons and tax, and you would earn a $6 RR back. This concept is called rolling Register Rewards.
5. You can use multiple RRs in one transaction. For example, if you are buying a $25 item, you could purchase that with five $5 RRs as long as you added four filler items to satisfy the coupon to item ratio which I discuss below.
There you go! Now you are all ready to shop at Walgreens. I know it might be a little intimidating, but the only way you are ever going to learn is by getting out there and doing it. 😉 Make sure to give yourself some grace for mistakes! Trust me, I’ve made my fair share of mistakes at Walgreens and it was never something that couldn’t be fixed.
If you Walgreens vets have anything to add to this for first time WAGers, please leave a comment!