Over the past couple of week’s I’ve shared some of my favorite simple and freezer-friendly soup recipes. I hope that you’ve had an opportunity to try them and that they will help you to stock up for winter on those chilly nights when only soup seems to fit the bill for dinner!
If you missed my previous soup recipe posts, you can check them out here:
Here is another one of my most favorite recipes to help us warm up on a cold winter day! The best part about this soup is that it can be cooked in a crock pot so it makes preparation even easier. I also like to double it so there is plenty to freeze for later. 😉
1 lb. Italian sausage
16 oz. can chicken broth
1 quart water
2-3 large russet baking potatoes, sliced in circles and then cut the circles in half
1 large onion, chopped
1/4 cup bacon bits or small pieces of cooked bacon
2 garlic cloves, minced
Crushed red pepper- amount based on your preference for spicy or mild soup
2 cups kale, chopped
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1. Brown the sausage in a pan until cooked.
2. Place cooked Italian sausage, chicken broth, water, garlic, potatoes, onion, bacon, and red pepper in slow cooker.
3. Cover. Cook on High for 3-4 hours until potatoes are cooked and soft.
4. Turn the crock pot off and add the kale.
5. Return the lid and let sit for 10 minutes so the kale softens.
6. Add whipping cream and serve.