As if Peeps on their own couldn’t get any better – allow me to introduce you to Peeps Cupcakes! These made from scratch cupcakes take everything delicious about a peep and make it even better! I started by making a marshmallow cupcake, paired that up with some cream cheese frosting and then topped it off with some sanding sugar along with a bright colored peep!
This recipe has three parts: the cupcakes, the frosting and the decoration, so make sure when you’re writing out your shopping list to look through the ingredients in each section. Most of the ingredients are pantry staples, so you may only need to pick up one or two items. 🙂
1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup marshmallows
1. Preheat the oven to 350 °F and line a cupcake/muffin pan with cupcake liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1 1/4 cups flour , 1 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda and 1/2 tsp salt. Set flour mix aside.
4. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat 2 eggs with the whisk attachment on medium speed (15-20 seconds).
5. Add 3/4 cup sugar and continue to beat on medium speed (30 seconds).
6. Add vanilla and oil and beat on medium speed (1 minute).
7. Reduce mixer speed to medium/low and slowly add about half of the flour mixture.
8. Now add half of the milk, then the rest of the flour mix and the rest of the milk.
9. Beat until just combined and smooth, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl.
10. Add the marshmallows and fold into the mix.
11. Pour batter into a lined muffin pan and fill to about 3/4 full.
12. Bake for 12 -14 minutes at 350° F.
13. Let them cool in the pan for a couple minutes, then remove.
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese, at room temp
1.5 cups powdered sugar
1.5 cups cold heavy whipping cream
½ tsp vanilla extract
Cooks Tip: For best results with whipped cream, freeze your mixing bowl and whisk attachment 10-15 minutes before using. Also keep the heavy whipping cream refrigerated until ready to use.
1. Whip the cream on high speed (1-2 minutes) until fluffy.
2. In a second mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and powdered sugar (start on low speed unless you want to be standing in a cloud of powdered sugar), then beat in ½ tsp vanilla extract.
3. Fold the whipped cream into the cream cheese mix. Keep it covered in the fridge until ready to use on these cupcakes.
Peeps in pink or Yellow
1. Hold the cupcake in one hand and grasp the pastry bag in the other.
2. Make sure you have twisted the top of the pastry bag moving ALL icing towards the bottom. You can also use a chip clip to secure the open part of the pastry bag is closed.
3. Now start on the rim of the cupcake and begin to squeeze the icing onto the cupcake in one movement ice the cupcake all the way around and move to start the second layer by placing the icing on the inner ring of the layer you just did. Complete the process until you’ve closed the gap.
4. Now twist the icing on the top to make a peak (similar to how you would get frozen yogurt).
5. Take your freshly iced cupcake and dip it in the bowl of sanding sugar lightly twisting to cover all areas.