Salted Caramel Rice Krispies Treats Recipe: Classic Rice Krispies Treats are made even better in this recipe by adding a chocolate salted caramel topping!
I’m a big fan of taking things that are already good (like Rice Krispie Treats) and making them even better, and that is exactly how this Salted Caramel Rice Krispies Treats recipe was conceived.
Many moons ago when I was in high school, I volunteered as a library assistant. It meant that I got to roam the hallways delivering messages to classrooms and occasionally a special treat for helping out. 🙂 Our assistant librarian would sometimes bring in her delicious homemade creations for us to “taste test” and well, I certainly wasn’t going to complain! One of my favorites was a chocolate and caramel covered Rice Krispies Treat very similar to this one. I never did get her recipe, so I decided to get nostalgic and recreate it myself!
Salted Caramel Rice Krispies Treats
3 tablespoons of butter
4 cups of mini marshmallows
6 cups of Rice Krispies
10 oz bag of dark chocolate chips
½ bag of caramel squares
1. In large pan melt 3 tablespoons of butter, then add marshmallows
2. Stir constantly until marshmallows are completely melted
3. Take off heat and stir in Rice Krispies
4. Line a 9X13 pan with parchment paper or spray well
5. Press Rice Krispie mix into pan and allow to cool (30 mins to an hour)
1. Melt chocolate and 1 tablespoon of butter in bowl in microwave
2. Pour onto Rice Krispie mix and immediately sprinkle with coarse salt
3. Let harden
4. Melt caramels in microwave
5. Drizzle over the chocolate
6. Let harden before cutting into pieces
Yields approximately 15 pieces.